In the four years since launching FarmShare, Northeast Ohio has seen enormous improvement in the availability of locally grown foods. The number of farmers markets has grown by leaps and bounds (up by 40% in Ohio!); more and more farmers are now operating their own Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs; and fresh, local produce is finding it's way onto many grocery store shelves and more restaurant tables. There are now more options than ever for locavores.
With so much progress underway, we've decided that it's time to transition FarmShare away from the weekly delivery business toward a more seasonal and celebratory means of sharing the local harvests as well as toward helping new folks discover the joys of eating locally and seasonally.
For the 2012 season, we'll be offering a series of special deliveries timed to celebrate seasonal milestones -- summer's first strawberries and salad greens; perfect peaches and beautiful blueberries; terrific tomatoes and sweet corn; autumn apples, leafy greens, and roots; and much more. FarmShare seasonal offerings will include a hand-picked selection of foods including exceptionally fresh, local, organic and sustainably grown fruits and vegetables as well as locally-made, small-batch foods and, of course, recipes from the FarmShare Kitchen. In addition, our FarmShare website will feature a variety of items including FarmShare favorites and staple foods which can be added to a delivery or ordered/shipped a la carte.
Here's how it will work:
- Seasonal offerings and delivery details will be announced monthly (or more frequently as harvests allow) to members of the FarmShare Friends mailing list;
- Pricing for each delivery will be based on quantities ordered. Yes, you'll have the flexibility to choose quantities of certain items;
- Orders will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis and you'll generally have 3-5 business days to place your order;
- "Pop-up" locations for order pickup will continue to be offered at Tower City and in Cleveland Heights (additional locations may be added throughout the season as needed);
- In specific areas, home delivery will be available (for a small delivery charge);
- There will be no seasonal subscription commitment enabling you to place an order whenever you wish.
To learn about upcoming deliveries and events, please join the FarmShare Friends and look for announcements beginning in June.
We realize that the move away from weekly deliveries may come as a disappointment to some. This was not an easy decision. Our hope is to continue offering you a flexible way of discovering and celebrating local, seasonal foods while inviting you along as we explore some fun, new ideas that strengthen our connection with food and where it comes from.
Your ongoing support of Northeast Ohio's food and farm community is an important contribution to the local food economy and is helping to make our region a truly "localicious" place to live.
We hope you'll join us throughout the coming 2012 season!